Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Skydiving Wanaka, New Zealand



The art of the graceful plummet.


Back in 2007 I was in NZ running a tour for Intrepid Travel. One of the guys on my tour was eager to go skydiving and I had been told, by those in the know, that Wanaka was the place to go to chuck yourself out of an areoplane. You'd circle up to altitude over Lake Wanaka, with snow capped mountains surrounding the lake and a glacier creeping down, over patch worked farmland and fall through fluffy white clouds. Sounds quite a thrill but not being one for heights it never really crossed my mind. Well, it did but then was quickly replaced by earthly activities such as strolling or sitting in a cafe drinking coffee. So when we arrived in the picturesque town he asked me to call the company to make a booking on his behalf which I dutifully did. What I didn't count on was him asking in a very loud Germanic voice,"Ask how much it costs for zee Tour Leader." The lovely gal on the other end of the line heard this question loud and clear and in a bubbly response announced," Tour Leaders go free!"

Yahoo. yipee kaiyay, bloody marvellous.

I had no intention of strapping myself to an unknown Kiwi and falling out of a plane from 14,000 feet but I kind of had no choice.

So I did and it was incredible!



















0 comments:

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari